Curating A Foundation Wardrobe
August 27, 2014
For many, the arrival of the fall season signals a beloved embrace of autumnal clothing. From sweaters and boots to hats and coats, the palpable crispness in the air intrinsically transforms one’s perspective on dressing “for the weather.” Although moving from shorts to scarves feels perfectly natural, few realize the need to adapt accordingly when it comes to dressing one’s face, especially when it comes to foundation.
Standing in direct contrast to a “one foundation fits all” mentality, foundation wardrobing involves selecting a base product to the suit the unique setting and needs of a particular circumstance, much like bringing a cashmere cardigan, rather than a chambray blouse, for a chilly evening out. For example, the base one wears to an afternoon on the sidelines of a soccer field can (and likely should) be profoundly different than the formula chosen for an important dinner with a client. Additionally, variables like coverage, finish, SPF and lasting power (e.g., the length of wear time before requiring a touch up) all play into choosing the most befitting foundation for life’s moments.
In case the notion of identifying the most appropriate base seems daunting and overwhelming, here are seven carefully curated foundation options to suit a spectrum of situations. It’s truly as simple as dressing your face!
1. Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot BBB Cream Beauty-Boosting Balm: For casual, active days when minimal coverage is desired and sun protection is paramount, this ultra-light formula offers just the right amount of glow for a naturally radiant complexion. Infused with antiaging ingredients including green tea and blueberry seed oil, this SPF 30 formula works hard so you can appear effortless, just like a great pair of jeans. Coverage: Light. Finish: Radiant. SPF: 30. Lasting Power: Significant (8+ hours.)
2. Omorovicza Complexion Perfector BB Cream SFF 20 Medium: One step up in the coverage department, this unique formulation simultaneously acts as a moisturizer, antiaging cream, sunscreen, foundation and concealer, all without the inclusion of silicone. Excellent as a daily base for sensitive skin, this plush BB Cream contains Hyaluronic Acid Microspheres, Hungarian Healing Water, Vitamin C and entirely physical (rather than chemical) sunscreen. I use this formula when my skin needs an extra comforting boost of moisture and love that it perfects the canvas with a single pump. It also doesn’t hurt that my skin actually looks improved when I remove it! Its soothing properties remind me of a favorite scarf I take everywhere. Coverage: Light-Medium. Finish: Natural. SPF: 20. Lasting Power: Significant (8+ hours.)
3. Le Metier de Beaute Classic Flawless Foundation: This creamy formula is apropos for daily wear due to its lightweight texture and gorgeous, satin-matte finish. Designed by Le Metier de Beaute Director of Color Mikey Castillo to compliment skin of all types and ages, it contains an elastic molecule that impressively prevents the formula from settling into pores and fine lines. The effect of this modern classic (calls to mind a little black dress, no?) is a canvas that simply looks like really good skin. What else could one desire? Coverage: Light, but easily buildable to medium-full. Finish: Satin-Matte. SPF: 8. Lasting Power: Respectable (5-6 hours.)
4. Cle de Peau Beaute Radiant Fluid Foundation: One of the latest formula releases from the venerable Cle de Peau line, this liquid formula feels extremely light upon application, yielding a gossamer veil that refines the skin instantly. Lovely for those seeking an enhanced luminosity, the radiance is subtle and sophisticated, like a delicate silk blouse. Additionally, although the SPF is fairly high, this formula (delightfully!) does not flash back in photographs! Coverage: Medium, buildable to full. Finish: Radiant. SPF: 24. Lasting Power: Respectable (5-6 hours.)
5. Yves Saint Laurent Beaute Le Teint Fusion Ink Foundation: The buzz surrounding this brand-new formula from YSL has been significant, purporting to essentially “fuse” with the skin to create weightless, indelible coverage with a soft matte finish, this foundation brilliantly lives up to its claims. On par with the most perfectly tailored body conscious dress, the Fusion Ink is splendid for daily wear. I recently marveled at how beautifully this perfected my canvas at a recent wedding; the natural-looking, long-lasting coverage enabled my skin to look and feel sensational for hours. Coverage: Medium, buildable to full. Finish: Soft Matte. SPF: 18. Lasting Power: Significant (8+ hours.)
6. Tom Ford Traceless Perfecting Foundation: Part of the Tom Ford Flawless Complexion Collection, this formula, which imparts a natural, skin-like finish, has set the bar when it comes to a beautiful foundation that is impervious to the elements. I have worn this for well over 10 hours in extreme heat and humidity, stunned at how well this formula performs under pressure. As versatile as a trenchcoat, once applied, it doesn’t budge, making it spectacular for moments (like a desert hike, a day of travel or long shift at work) when one is not afforded the luxury of a touch up. Coverage: Medium-Full. Finish: Natural. SPF: 15. Lasting Power: Extremely Significant (10+ hours in heat and humidity.)
7. La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer + Foundation: For the ultimate in a luxurious foundation experience (on par with say, a vicuna coat), this medium coverage cream formula with a lovely satin matte finish relies upon opulent Caviar Extract and La Prairie’s exclusive Cellular Complex to firm, nourish and energize the skin.
To read more of Rachel Anise’s beauty reviews check out her blog, www.BeautyProfessor.net