The Art of Summer Beauty
June 23, 2015
Fresh from a recent round of summertime travel, I have found myself contemplative about the art of packing one’s beauty products. It is often an intimidating act; too streamlined, and you’re bound to have forgotten something vital; too thorough, however, and you’re toting around much more than could ever be realistically utilized in a week or two abroad! That being said, I may have stumbled upon the secret to mastering the beauty-packing conundrum during this last excursion. Instead of grabbing all of my favorites (and, dare I say it, I have an obscene amount of favorites), I focused on selecting a minimum amount of products that each possessed a maximum amount of versatility. My toiletries bag was delightfully light and yet every potential need was met—brilliant! In the spirit of this epiphany, here are thirteen beauty and skincare products that indubitably should be on your packing list:
1. Foreo Issa Toothbrush: No need to pack a bulky charger for this technological wonder as each charge lasts up to 365 uses. The flexible and hygienic brush head and nearly silent operating mode make this a perfect option for brushing on the go.
2. SK-II Facial Treatment Mask: The cult favorite instant skin reviver now comes in single packs, excellent to toss into one’s carry-on for a potent post-flight treatment.
3. Kate Somerville Prime Perfection Dual Action Primer: Designed to masterfully fight the signs of aging, instantly smooth skin and also deliver SPF 15 protection, this 3-in-1 formula is versatility incarnate.
4. La Prairie Anti-Aging Eye and Lip Perfection a Porter: This luxurious compact houses two utilitarian products in one; the silky eye cream-gel banishes fine lines and fatigue upon contact, and the hydrating lip balm is a marvelous base for the lip color to come.
5. Amore Pacific Resort Collection Sun Protection Stick SPF 50+: The ultimate in portable sunscreen, this clutch-worthy stick offers a formidable level of broad-spectrum SPF 50 protection and is invaluable for shielding the delicate eye, nose and lip areas.
6. Orlane Teint Absolu: A beautifully lightweight skincare-meets-base formula, the buildable coverage offers nourishment to the skin while evening the complexion, and the sturdy tube can be tossed into one’s handbag with confidence!
7. Kevyn Aucoin Matte Bronzing Veil in Desert Days: A rosy matte tan with absolutely no shimmer, Desert Days delivers an enviable warmth to the face while letting the natural patina of your skin shine through.
8. Clinique Cheek Pop in Melon Pop: Bright and cheery with just enough color to add a soft flush, this compact blush is an apropos choice when the face needs a “pick me up.”
9. Gucci Magnetic Eye Color Duo in Aristocratic: Splendid for a casual daytime look, the iconic compact contains a chic matte taupe and shimmering pale plum pairing to adeptly define the eyes.
10. Clé de Peau Beauté Perfect Lash Mascara: This jet black formula adds volume and length while separating lashes for beautifully executed fringe. The fact that it lasts for hours with smudging, flaking or migrating (even in heat and humidity!) makes it the only mascara you’ll need.
11. Le Metier de Beaute Ken Downing Eye Shadow Quad in London: Four shades of neutrals in varying intensity—a pale peach cream to a deep and shimmering orchid—allow for endless combinations and a host of stunning outcomes.
12. Laura Mercier Paint Wash Liquid Lip Color in Sunblaze: Forget the backup camera battery and extra coat, what every traveler really needs is a weightless, natural red lip color. It brightens the face in a flash and allows you to wear less makeup overall!
13. Edward Bess Lasting Kiss Lip Stain in Au Naturel: One swipe of this highly pigmented cream lip color creates a universally flattering, touch up-free rose nude effect that appears effortless for the daytime hours. Add another coat for evening, along with a subtle smoky eye, to immediately intensify the look.