NM SVP Nathan Johnson’s Daily Essentials
January 29, 2015
It’s not uncommon to see stylish men strolling the halls of Neiman Marcus in downtown Dallas. Whether they are Sales Associates, customers or those actually working behind the scenes to get great product on the floor, there’s style inspiration everywhere. If you’re lucky, you might have the good fortune to run into Nathan Johnson. Nathan is a Senior Vice President with Neiman Marcus overseeing the Merchandise Planning organization and is one of those rare men who can perfectly blend sartorial and street wear – you might catch Nathan perusing the Isaia tailored selection during the day, and later kicking back at a Joe Purdy concert in the evening. It comes as no surprise to us that, after 17 years with Neiman Marcus, Nathan’s eye for the intricate details in his life lives up to his reputation as one of the best-dressed men in Dallas. And, he’s a fan of quality leather accessories, as evidenced by the patina growing on his wallet and bag, as well as an advocate for mixing tailored and casual.
Originally educated in Anthropology, it was a chance article in “Cigar Aficionado” that exposed him to Neiman Marcus and the world of luxury retail. Nathan says he enjoys the luxury world because it gives him the ability to balance science and art in what he does. “I get to do the numbers and analytics side of things, but there still needs to be someone traveling the world and getting a read on future trends. It’s a perfect blend,” he explains.
We agree, Nathan.
Nathan’s Style tip: “I don’t shine my shoes. I like them to get patina and character, and I love the juxtaposition between tailored clothing and well-used leather.”
1. Around the office Nathan can usually be seen carrying his Tom Ford “Buckley” brown leather briefcase. Given to him as a Father’s Day gift. “It’s the perfect size; it fits everything I need but still forces me to be leaner with what I carry.”
2. Nathan is always wearing a pair of Oliver Peoples eyeglasses. His first pair, “Sheldrake”, is showing a beautiful patina from years of use, and they only get more beautiful with age.
3. When he needs to dress up (not uncommon at Neiman Marcus), Nathan reaches for his Franck Muller Casablanca Curvex watch in stainless steel. This 10th anniversary numbered limited edition timepiece was given to him as a wedding gift by his wife, and it’s the perfect mix of formality and playfulness to suit most occasions.
4. If you have a beard like Nathan does, then you need a comb that can stand up to it. Nothing does it better than the Chicago Comb in laser-cut stainless steel with a Horween Cordovan sheath. It’s American-made and one of those accessories that is just fun to use. Sold at Neiman Marcus stores nationwide.
5. Nathan usually carries his trusty XiKAr cigar cutter. Since his college days, Nathan has had a penchant for enjoying a fine cigar (although toddler-wrangling has largely taken the stogie’s place as “favorite pastime”). He first learned about Neiman Marcus while reading a “Cigar Aficionado” Best Menswear Stores article in college, and the rest is history.
Isaia Patch Pocket Sport Coat, Kiton MTM Dress Shirt, 3×1 Selvedge jeans, Oliver Peoples glasses, Grenson Suede brogue shoes and Franck Muller 10th anniversary numbered limited edition timepiece.
By: Michael Zickert
Photography: Laura Acosta